Saturday, December 26, 2009

Movie Review Quick Sketch: The Princess and the Frog


To say that I have been waiting for this movie is like saying Ralphie just kinda wanted a bee bee gun. I dreamed of one day becoming a Disney animator. I watched specials on animation and everytime they would show an animator in the studio drawing I was pause the VCR (I'm dating myself I know) and just look at their work. i would rewind them and watch them over and over. Later, I dreamed of one day making a Disney movie and making one with a black princess, a black fairy tale. I never knew if I fast forwarded about 15 years that I would not be nanywhere neat Disney and they would make the black princess feature without me. Okay, about the movie....

Disney hand drawn animation is back!! yes!!! If you are a fan like I am, than you have to see this movie. Disney has returned to form with all the catchy songs, the bright beautiful colors and memorable characters that made them special. And the animation, oh the animation is as fantastic as it ever was making us believe that drawings on a page where living breathing life forms. I think the time away, although nerve wracking as it may have been, did some good. It made the formula that we became accustomed to become fresh again. it made us appreciate what we missed. Disney never cslacked on animation, it was the storytelling that got away and how the story was told. Disney has taken a somewhat familiar story and made it with a predominantly African-American cast and set it in beautiful retro New Orleans. Compete with jazz, gumbo, Cajuns and voodoo. And it is all done tastefully and cleverly. It is part of the story and it works...well. Go see it...twice! We need these kinds of movies for us, for our children and we need more of them. So we need them to be profitable to show them that CG is not the only way to make an animated film, and white people aren't the only central characters that everbody wants to see all the time. You will come out of this movie loving the characters, especially Ray the Cajun lightning bug who steals the show. You will laugh, you'll tap your feet and sing, you may even cry...if you have a heart anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment